Coconut shell powder is made from coconut shells and is used as a filler in the manufacture of thermoset moulding powders like bakelite, synthetic resin glues or phenol formaldehyde. Availability of adequate quantity of coconut shells is the most critical aspect. It is imperative to locate reliable sources for regular supplies and the location of the factory has to be finalised accordingly.
Mesh size of 80-100 is suitable for thermoset moulding powder whereas for synthetic resin glues the size has to be around 230-240 mesh. Product provides substantial value-addition as normally shells are either thrown away or used as a fuel. Coconut shell powder is an industrial product and is considered to be suitable and cheap filler compared to others. It is easy to manufacture and results in considerable value-addition.
- Product of Vietnam
Appearance Free flowing powder
Color Clear light to dark brown
Ordor Natural flavor
Apparent density (g/cc) 0.6 to 0.7 g/cc
Chemical formula Organic
PH 5.0 – 7.0
Moisture 8.0% – 12.0%
Mesh size 80 – 100
- It is used as a raw material for Activated Carbon industries.
- It is extensively used as compound filler in the manufacture of Phenolic molding powder (Bakelite plastic) as a filler & extender.
- It is used as a filler for synthetic resin glues.
- It is used successfully with specialized surface finishing liquid products (as an absorbent), Mastic adhesives, resin casting and bituminous products.
- It is used in heavy duty hand cleaner pastes as a mild abrasive.
- It can give a smooth and lustrous finish to moulded articles, and also improve their resistance to moisture and heat.
- In the Granular form, it is used as a Lost Circulation Material in Oil Well Drilling.
- It is used as a mild abrasive in shot blasting of delicate objects and of historic buildings.
- In Asia, it is widely used for the manufacture of insect repellent in the form of mosquito coils and also in Agarbathis, due to its long and uniform burning qualities.
- The product finds extensive use in plywood and laminated boards as a phenolic extruder and as a filler in synthetic resin glues.
MEKONG RIVER VIETNAM CO.,LTD